Five family members from Mpyenza village in Nabukalu Sub County in Bugiri district are battling for their lives after eating suspected poisoned cassava. They are Saufa Kagoya 20, Najura Kagoya 14, Haruna Mulata 10, Nahia Nakiranda 6 and Vivian Namutesa 4.
They are currently admitted at BMK Medical services health facility in Bugiri town. Aisha Namunana, the father of the five, says her children started vomiting on Monday evening shortly after eating supper made out of cassava and sorghum flour locally known as obwita.
“We ate supper together as a family but about an hour later, the children started vomiting and crying of headache. They became weak and by the time we brought them here some had lost consciousness, said Namunana.
She explained to URN that they bought the flour from one of the shops in the village. Dr. Charles Kalungu the in charge of BMK medical services says medical examinations show that the meal was poisonous.
Edirisa Kyeyune, the Bugiri District Police Commander, suspects the family could have consumed a poisonous cassava variety locally known as Magana. According to Kyeyuna, Magana can be very disastrous once eaten prematurely.
“Last week, one person died after eating the same type of cassava and records show that at least two people are hospitalised,” he said.
Suleiman Kintu, a resident of Nabukalu Sub County, says several people have developed complications after eating Magana cassava. He noted that many residents have resorted to eating premature cassava because of hunger.
– Uganda Radio Network