Two minors from the same family have been electrocuted in Mbale district, eastern Uganda.
The deceased have been identified as five – year-old Siraj Womukore and his 15-year-old brother, Emma Mukhosi, both pupils of Busimba Primary school in Mooni village in Mudodo parish in Bungokho Sub County in Mbale district.
Fatina Mutonyi, the mother of the deceased, says the minors were electrocuted over the weekend by an illegal connection. Sylvia Mutonyi, an aunt to the deceased says Womukore was playing with another child in the compound when he stepped on a naked electricity cable that had fallen down on the ground.
According to Mutonyi, Mukhosi rushed to save his sibling who was lying on the ground and was also electrocuted. The deceased’s mother tipped off police after relatives hurriedly buried Womukore’s body.
“When the incident happened the five-year-old boy was immediately buried while the body of the 15-year- old boy is still missing,” Mutonyi told our reporter.
A resident of Bungokho told this publication on condition of anonymity that the number of people dying by electrocution in the district has risen. Most of the victims are buried secretly to avoid repercussions because of the illegal power connections.
Police investigations in 2015 indicated that at least 13 people were electrocuted in the Mt Elgon sub-region each week due to illegal power connections, with six cases registered in Mbale District alone.
Stephen Ahweera, the Mbale District Police Commander, says there are many illegal power connections in Bugisu region. He however, says they have intensified operations together with Umeme officials targeting those behind the vice.
Elgon region has been singled out as one of the areas with the highest illegal power connections following by Greater Masaka region.