Job Title: Project Assistant Education – Vocational Skills Training
Organisation: Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been implementing projects for Internally Displaced Persons and Refugees in Northern Uganda, West Nile and South Western respectively, since 1997. Having smoothly phased-out by end of August 2014 in the North, NRC reopened from September 2014, to compliment efforts of the Government of Uganda and UNHCR in supporting the South Sudanese Refugees currently settled in the Districts of Adjumani and Arua in West Nile. With funding from SIDA, NMFA, ECHO, UNHCR and UNICEF, NRC is implementing integrated projects in Arua, Yumbe and Adjumani/Palorinya refugee settlements.
In the recent past, there has been an influx of Congolese Refugees to Kyangwali refugee settlement that required NRC’s Emergency response in WASH and Shelter. Now, NRC now seeks to recruit Project Assistant(s) Education – Vicational Skills Training who will support the Education Programme in Rhino Camp and Adjumani Refugee Settlements on behalf of NRC.
The purpose of the Project Assistant Education – Vocational Skills Training is to;
- Monitor and report on the project activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards
- Responsible for community mobilization/sensitization on Vocational Skills Training (VST) and other related activities.
- Provide on-site support supervision and feedback to VST Instructors and Lead Instructors.
- Ensure community participation, contribution and ownership in the VST program.
- Liaise with community leaders to ensure that out of school youths benefit from VST activities.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports on activities within each VST Centre with relevant data
- Inspect and supervise regularly all the VST Centres/schools.
- Ensure a constructive co-operation and buy-in of the local authorities in the implementation of VST programme activities.
- Assist in updating VST learners’ and instructors’ data base.
- Participate in relevant meetings e.g. protection meetings.
- Degree or Diploma in Vocational Education
- At least 3 years experience as a Teacher/instructor of vocational studies
- Experience from working with education projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of the local context and education systems in Uganda
- Ability to speak Arabic and local language commonly spoken by the beneficiaries will be an added advantage
- Academy college / University
- Personal qualities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Respect for diversity
- Contract duration: 8 months with possibility of extension
1. Rhino Camp Refugee Settlement – Arua District.
2. Adjumani – Adjumani District
Start Date: 1 May 2018
Salary; According to NRC pay structure
Travel: No travelling required
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified Ugandan candidates who wish to join one of the world’s leading relief organisations, Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) should apply by visiting the web link: https://www.webcruiter.no/WcMain/AssignmentSearch.aspx?oppdragsnr=3782393741