Job Title: Senior Procurement Officer
Organisation: Uganda Management Institute (UMI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director General
Uganda Management Institute (UMI) is a Management Development Institute with a Mission “to Excel in Developing Practical and Sustainable Administration, Leadership and Management Capacity”. It provides management training, consultancy and research services in response to the demands of the public, private, development partners, CSOs, the Institute offers high quality career development management courses at Certificate, Diploma, Postgraduate Diploma and Higher Degree Levels. The Institute’s activities are currently carried out at the main campus in Kampala and its Branches in Mbarara, Gulu and Mbale.
Job Summary: The Senior Procurement Officer will plan, coordinate, and manage the procurement and disposal of assets function of the Institute to ensure value for money.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan the procurement and disposal of assets, resources and activities of the Institute;
- Support the functioning of the Contracts Committee;
- Implement the decisions of the Contracts Committee;
- Recommend procurement and disposal procedures;
- Check and prepare statements of requirements;
- Prepare bid documents;
- Prepare advertisements of bid documents;
- Issue bid documents;
- Maintain a providers list;
- Prepare contract documents;
- Issue approved contract documents;
- Maintain and archive records of the procurement and disposal process;
- Prepare monthly reports for the Contracts Committee;
- Coordinate departmental procurement and disposal activities; and provide guidance to staff in all procurement matters accordingly;
- Ensure that legislative requirements are understood and incorporated into controls, policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties as may become necessary for the smooth running of the Unit and the Institute as a whole.
Key Result Areas:
- Resources of the Procurement Unit planned, budgeted and controlled;
- Conformity with Government procurement regulations enforced;
- Procurement and disposal of assets process coordinated;
- Functionality of the Contracts Committee supported;
- Effective and efficient procurement system enforced;
- Timely technical advice to the Accounting Officer,
- Contracts Committee and Institute Governing Council members, on matters pertaining to procurement provided;
- Staff members of the procurement secretariat guided and developed
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- A Masters’ Degree in Procurement/ Purchasing and Supplies or an equivalent professional qualification;
- Bachelor’s Degree (Honors) in Procurement/Purchasing and Supplies, Business Administration, Commerce, Law, Transport and Logistics Or in a Procurement related field;
- Full Professional qualification in Supply Chain Management (CIPS) plus a Post Graduate Diploma in Public Procurement Management from a recognized awarding Institution;
- At least five years of relevant working experience three (3) of which should have been gained at a supervisory level from a reputable organization; and
- Must be a Member of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (MCIPS).
- A High degree of integrity and confidentiality;
- Good communication both oral and written skills;
- Good interpersonal relationship skills;
- Ability to manage numerous deliverables in a timely and effective manner;
- Proven ability to meet timelines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills;
- Decisive, analytical and problem solver;
- Contract negotiation skills;
- People management skills; and
- A Team player.
- Knowledge of applicable laws;
- Procurement, Disposal and Contracts Management;
- Planning, Organizing and Coordination;
- Information and Communications Technology
- Concern for Quality and Standards; and
- Ethics and Integrity, Communication.
NB: A competitive basic salary, complemented by a gratuity scheme and housing, transport and medical allowances will be provided.
How to Apply:
Fill in the application form, download below and attach a comprehensive CV, certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates plus copies of relevant appointment letters.
Submit hard-copies to the address below;
The Human Resource Manager
Uganda Management Institute
Plot 44-52 Jinja Road
P.O. Box 20131, Kampala
Deadline: Monday 7th May, 2018 by 3:00pm
Download Form Here: UMI Job Application Form-April 2018