Lawyer demands unconditional release of Bobi Wine’s bodyguard

Lawyer demands unconditional release of Bobi Wine's bodyguard
Lawyers representing Eddie Mutwe Ssebuufu, the bodyguard of embattled MP Robert Kyagulanyi alias Bobi Wine, have threatened to sue CID Chief Grace Akullo if their client is not released “unconditionally.”

The lawyer of Eddie Ssebufu, the detained bodyguard of Kyadondo East Legislator Robert Kyagulanyi have written to the Director of Criminal Investigations Department (CID) demanding for his release.

In a letter dated September, 6th, 2018 addressed to AIGP Grace Akullo the Director CID, Eron Kiiza, Ssebufu’s lawyer wants his client released unconditionally.

“We refer to the caption matter wherein we represent Eddie Mutwe otherwise known as Eddie Ssebufu. He has been in detention since August, 25th, 2010. He remains detained at Jinja Road Police Station to date”, reads the notice in part.

The documents also indicate that whereas associating with Bobi Wine is not a case; the officers have happily and insensitively continued to detain Mutwe beyond 48 hours which violates his constitutional right to fair hearing and denial of personal liberty.

Kiiza also accused the police of not respecting the High Court’s order of producing Ssebufu in court.

“Whereas High Court on 30th August 2018 ordered his production in court on September, 4th, 2018 you ignored the order only to mislead the Attorney General and the Honorable court that Eddie Mutwe was on his way to Gulu for arraignment before a competent court. The said lie is on court record,” reads the letter in part.

Kiiza also says that should the police fail to release Sebuufu, legal action will be taken.

Ssebufu was arrested by state operatives from Semakokiro Plaza in Kamwookya on Saturday, August 25, 2018 and taken to unknown place where had been held incommunicado. However, his arrest was denied by the army and police.

Sebuufu was recently seen at Police Special Investigations Unit in Kireka moments after Justice Musa Sekaana ordered security agencies to produce him in Court. A day later, he was seen at Jinja Road Police Station where he is currently being held.