Prove allegations on Mityana protest victims – Police to Zaake

MP Francis Zaake while addressing journalists on Monday (in navy blue suit is his lawyer Asuman Basalirwa)

Police have asked the Mityana Municipality Member of Parliament, Francis Butebi Zaake to prove allegations he made on concealed numbers of people who lost their lives in Mityana in August.

One person was reportedly shot dead and many others injured on August 19th when residents of Mityana Municipality in Mityana District demonstrated over what they called torture of their representative in Parliament, Zaake.

While addressing a press conference on Monday at his home in Nalumunye in Wakiso District, MP Zaake claimed that through his agents, they have received viable information indicating that there were more people who died than those reported by police and in the media.

Zaake notes that over ten people could have been killed including officers from police and Uganda People’s Defense Forces (UPDF) but the facts have since been hidden to avoid public criticism.

The legislator adds government officials have since given out shilling 10 million to each of the deceased families to silence them.

This report has confirmed that the president gave out shillings 10 million to two families who lost their people during the incident and shillings five million to each of the victim who sustained injures.

However, this publication could not independently prove claims of other causalities who lost lives. When this reporter tasked the MP to give names and villages where the victims were buried, the legislator noted that this was still a sensitive matter whose details can only be disclosed while in court.

The Deputy Police Spokesperson Patrick Onyango says that if more people died during the protest as the Legislator alleges, then he should prove the allegations or even tell the public where the said people were buried than putting up false claims.

“Let him account for the eight dead bodies. I challenge him to show the graves of the eight,” says Onyango.

In the same development, Ofwono Opondo, the government spokesperson, has also attacked the MP for the ‘ambiguous statement’ saying that Zaake, whom he described as a young man, should desist from politics encompassed with lies.

Opondo says Zaake is a big liar who is just trying to attract public’s interest by keeping in the press and also endeavoring to create confusion among members of the public.

Meanwhile, police are yet to arrest the two of their own identified as Corporal Kefa Moshi and Police Constable Morris Cheptai who fired bullets into the football fans at Wabigalo Trading centre. The fans had aboard a commuter taxi and where heading for a match in Mukono district.

In earlier reports, police noted that the duo had been arrested and where awaiting to be taken to court for trial. Barely a day after the pronouncement, the minister of security, Elly Tumwine, who was delivering the country’s security status report in parliament after Free Bobi Wine protest said that the two had escaped from custody.

However, our reporter has since learnt that the duo was never arrested. A source from Mityana police, who however preferred anonymity, notes that both suspects threw the guns and vanished moments after shooting innocent football fans.

Onyango says police mounted a search for the duo and even alerted all units to arrest them on sight.

URN