Three suspected Ebola victims escape from Kanungu Isolation Unit

Three suspected Ebola victims escape from Kanungu Isolation Unit
Ebola kills 5-year-old child in Uganda as two new cases confirmed

Three suspected Ebola victims have escaped from the isolation unit at Kihihi Health Centre IV in Kihihi town council in Kanungu District, Western Uganda.

They are Saddi Muhima 46, his son Issa Muhima 19, and Milton Nsenga, all from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

The trio was admitted in isolation when they presented with Ebola like symptom shortly after arriving at Munyaga border crossing in Western ward in Butogota town council in Kanungu district from DRC on Wednesday morning.

The trio presented with high temperatures, one of the signs of the hemorrhagic fever forcing Ebola surveillance officials to rush them to Kihihi health Centre IV for monitoring.

However, the Kanungu Health Inspector, Kato Besisira, says the trio escaped as the health workers were preparing to draw blood samples from them and rush them to Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) Entebbe for examination.

They are believed to have crossed back to DRC using the porous borders. Besisira says the escape of the trio has triggered panic in the district.

Read Also: Uganda on high alert as Ebola devastates DRC border areas

The Health ministry announced an Ebola alert on Tuesday evening after a five year boy from the Democratic Republic of Congo-DRC tested positive for Ebola shortly after crossing into Kasese district.

He later passed on Wednesday morning followed his grandmother later in the day at Ebola Treatment Unit at Bwera Hospital in Mpondwe-Lhubiriha town council.

According to World Health Organization (WHO), as of last week, a total of 2025 Ebola cases had been reported in DRC. 1357 deaths have been recorded in the country since the outbreak was declared.

URN