Nairobi, Kenya | Uber on Wednesday 24th, May 2017 introduced a new feature in its ride-sharing application which enhances riders’ experience by allowing them to share photos with special filters through an app integration with popular social network, Snapchat.
This Snapchat integration feature will be available to Uber riders in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kampala and Dar es Salaam.
The new feature is part of a continued upgrade of the Uber rider application that begun in November last year which introduced new features such as upfront pricing and estimate time of arrival at one’s destination.
Making the announcement, Uber General Manager for East Africa, Loic Amado, said, “In our new rider app, we start with your destination so we can get you there as fast as possible and also tailor the journey to you. But we also realize that you’re doing more than just going somewhere – you’re often going somewhere to meet someone. So, we are rolling out an integration with Snapchat so you can unlock custom Uber filters while you ride, and Snap your friends while en route.”
To access the new feature, riders need to be existing Snapchat users and on an Uber ride. While on the ride, Uber riders will see a Snapchat card in their feed. They then need to select the type of filter they want to unlock, take their selfie, and swipe right.
Riders can also use Uber filters with other Snapchat lenses for double the fun. The Snapchat integration will be available to riders on both Android and iOS in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kampala and Dar es Salaam.
“Gone are the days of toggling between apps – you now have a fun and social way to share you’re in an Uber! This is one of many ways that we are working to ensure that we innovate to give our riders the best experience possible when riding with us,” added Mr. Amado.
The new filters that will be available through the Uber – Snapchat integration are:
- ETA Filter – Enables you to share a photo that indicates your estimated time of arrival with friends and family. (Filter Always on)
- Ride Type filter – Enables you to share the type of Uber ride you are taking with friends and family. (Filter Always on)
- Mystery filter – Filter specific to time of day that you are traveling in an Uber. (Filter Always on)
- Commute – Filter allows you to share what you’re doing/going to do. (Ongoing, 6 – 10 am, 4 – 8 pm M- F)
- Late Night Out – Special filter for late nights! (Ongoing, 12 – 4 am, Sat/ Sun)
- TGIF – Special Friday filter!
– Swahili Translation: Wikendi yako inawasili sasa
– Ongoing on Friday’s
- Monday grind – Special Monday filter! (Ongoing, Monday’s 6 am – 12pm)
SOURCE: Janet Kemboi – Uber Communications, East Africa